Ghibli’s Latest Submitted for Oscar Nomination

The Hollywood Reporter picked up the announcement made on Friday by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences of the 21 animated films that are up for possible Oscar Nominations in the 2013 ceremony. Studio Ghibli‘s latest film, From Up on Poppy Hill, is among the 21 titles, including smash hit Dr. Seuess’ The Lorax and the eagerly anticipated Rise of The Guardians. From Up on Poppy Hill is still in need of a further one week run in L.A in order to qualify for nomination submission, which distributor GKids commented on, aiming to give the film its qualifying run within a “November time frame“.

Set in 1960’s Japan, From Up on Poppy Hill follows the story of Umi Matsuzaki, a high schooler living in a boarding house who meets Shun Kazama, a member of the school newspaper club. The pair decide to clean up the school clubhouse, which is in danger of being demolished by school chairman and businessman Tokumaru, leaving Umi and Shun with the task of persuading him to reconsider. This latest feature also marks Goro Miyazaki‘s first directorial role since 2006’s Tales Of Earthsea.

Perhaps more obscure is the second anime title that made the list, The Mystical Laws, directed by Isamu Imakake adapting a book by founder of the controversial religious group, Happy Science, Ryuho Okawa. The story involves a lone saviour with the power of mystical technology battling the evil empire of Godom. The film was released in U.S theatres in early October, having a near simultaneous opening with Japan.

Also submitted but just falling short of the final list was Hitoshi Takekiyo‘s fully CGI anime After School Midnighters, telling the tale of a human anatomical model that springs to life in the school science room at midnight.

Via The Hollywood Reporter

<