Korean drama Reply 1997 to receive US remake

Reply-1997-1

Fans of Korean TV series and dramas will recognise Reply 1997 as being a big hit back in 2012. This show even had its second season titled Reply 1994 that aired in 2013 and was just as big of a show as the first. It seems that the US has taken a liking to the ever so popular and forever growing series as FOX, the home of musical school drama GLEE, have announced that Answer Me 1999 is now in development.

The original Korean drama told the story of a group of teenagers in the 1990s and their individual stories growing up. One main character was that of Shi-Won who took you on a comedic journey of her deep love and adoration of the K-pop group H.O.T. It seems Answer Me 1999 is going to be faithful to the original and will move back and forth from past and present with a group of teenagers in the 1990s to their adult days in the 2010s. It has been described by FOX as “a musical journey through the most transformated decade of the modern era — one that catapulted us into the digital age and forever changed how we interact with each other.”

Working on the project are Step Up 3D writers Amy Andelson and Emily Meyer, with the film’s director Jon M. Chu set for the opening episode. This will be the big TV debut for Andelson and Meyers, but it is also the first scripted series for Jon Chu who comes from a choreography background. Jon has already produced several dance themed online series, as well as directing the hit dance flicks Step Up 2, Step Up 3D and the Justin Bieber concert film Never Say Never. Recently though he participated in the  GI Joe: Retaliation movie, and is even bringing the classic 1980s cartoon series Jem And The Holograms to cinema screens.

If they get the correct actors to play the legendary parts that Apink’s Jung EunJi, Infnite’s Hoya, Seo In Guk, Shin So Yul, Lee Si Un and Eun Ji Won played with perfection, then this series could become the next best thing, if not better than GLEE. Keep checking back for more information, but in the meantime check out the trailer below for the original Korean version of Reply 1999.

Source – Deadline.com

20 Comments

1. Anonymous says:

Oh hell no. Hell, hell, hell no. Please America. Stop ruining our shows.

2. Anonumous says:

Seriously!? Can you not just air Reply 1994 and do official subtitles? No need to remake everything!

3. Danny Lam says:

As an American, I apologize for all our actions of ruining Kdramas.

• mikedo2007 says:

Dude, a lot of foreign stuff get remade USA. Even British and Australian shows get American remake (Yeah I know it’s a bit stupid unless the show was House of card and The Office which are some rare exception).

4. Sarah says:

Nooooooo!! I’m cringing already! If it ever does air, I will have to peek at that shit in shame.

5. kdramaaddict says:

WHY, GOD, WHY!?!?! Why must I come from such an idiot place like America that thinks they can FREAKIN COPY the amazing and wonderful works of places like Korea who actually produce AWESOME shows … America can’t do it.. It’s going to end up crappy and stupid and lame and will probably end up really screwed up or be canceled like the American Boys Over Flowers did.. Stupid, stupid, STUPID!!!

• Chiffon says:

I’ve read stories where Korean people complain about the same things. Not everyone in Korea likes dramas. The only people that are really into mainstream culture are young teens and die-hard fans. Sound familiar? 🙂 Koreans copy American culture, too. The American Boys Over Flowers show wasn’t professional; it was fanmade and terribly executed. The whole concept of BoF can actually work here if it’s a. placed in the preppy New England states and Shinhwa is a U.S. prep school. In old-money, wealthy neighborhoods, bullying that this is common.
      Besides,

• mikedo2007 says:

Dude a lot of foreign show get US remake. Even British and Australian shows get US remake. I know I don’t like the idea of US remaking stuff but you got to remember that South Korea do remake foreign stuff too.

6. […] why I would dread this day. Recently, I found out America wanted to remake the popular show “Reply 1997” and literally, my face just dropped. There are three reasons why this is a bad […]

7. asdff says:

Come on America!! Subtitles are cheaper!! Don’t screw a good drama!!

8. gomugomu says:

America already has their version….it’s “how i met your mother.”….only without the historical and pop culture references.

9. Anonymous2 says:

As an American, I loved Answer Me 1997 (and almost every other Korean drama I’ve watched) and kept thinking how great it would be to see a 1999 version of this show. There are some many memorable references! The success of an American version will depend on the writing and the cast. Hopefully it does well.

10. Unknown says:

Oh Fuck no! Stop ruining our shows! I swear they are going to make it dumb and defame Reply 1997 . I’m done with America stealing the Korean dramas this is the 5th remake that is going to happen! Ridiculous . They managed to ruin boys over flowers. Great,America you are going to change everything and not stick to the concept of the Reply series.

11. :3 says:

DID YOU NOT SEE THE BOF REMAKE?!? That was sh*t! Seriously me and my friends can make better remakes with an iPhone.

12. Bob Snofferburg says:

I kind of ignored all the news about american remakes of shows this past year. Out of all of the ones they want to remake, this one seems like it would be best off, because its a premise that could work for anybody, I think. its basically a walk down memory lane, and if they put the correct stuff in there (I’m visualizing the BSB and N*SYNC fanbases here), it could be pretty good, especially with people who were that age at that point in time. the whole concept of reply 1997 is so good I think it could probably be redone in 10 years (with reply 2007 lmao) and still be a hit. I’m not too excited about it, but I don’t think it will be as repulsive as some of the others will be

13. smd says:

LOL that was answer for copy cunt cat korea , for fucking copy on everything , this ugly slanted eyed shits with plastic surgery copy japan and american staff without STOP ! and the son of a bitches who have a problem ,, JUMP ON MY DICK AND SWALLOW MY CUM UGLY HOREAN SHITS!

14. […] chaîne Fox s'intéresse quant à elle au drama Reply 1997, gros hit de 2012 qui s'intéresse à groupe […]